Sign in to follow this  
dekarate

Potentiometer vs Servo Rotation

HI

I have hacked a Hitec HS-805BB (big and heavy duty servo) hoping to improve the rotation angle. I replaced the internal pot with an external that is also the axle on the gearbox. (Need even more torque 4:1 box). The original pot was 5K, so I tried a 10K pot and got about 60 degrees rotation. Then a 1K pot yielded about 110 degrees rotation. If I keep going small resistance will I get to 180 or 200 degrees? Using servo to drive arm to flip an R/C truck over when it gets inverted. 110 degrees doesn't sweep around far enough. I guess one solution would be to take out pot and put in limit switches, but that is just one more failure point. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you are going to add a gearbox anyway then why not add a remote pot geared to give what ever rotation you need.

Terry

The pot is used as a true voltage divider and in this app it will not offer predictable results when you use other values. Instead, use the stock pot and add a series resistor in each outside terminal leg. Start with 2.2K's and then increase as needed.

Keep in mind that you will eventually cause a stalled servo situation, which will either break the pot, the servo stops, or damage the motor.

See the site of servo city and your problem can be ove in a short time....www.servocity.com

Hans Delemarre, The Netherlands