Hi - I'm John from Bakersfield, CA. We have beautiful flying weather here right now. I don't record video because right now I'm interested in simulated piloting. I use a 600mw BWAV system on a wingo. Monitor is a 7" Xenarc Hi-Res LCD, enclosed for outside viewing, and magnified with a page size Fresnel lense. This turned out to be a very good real time monitor solution. I get the best reception with a commercial 8db patch for receiving, sitting on or near the ground pointed straight up, (as suggested by Yb2normal). The transmitting antenna (Rubber duckie) is pointed straight down, all the way underneath the airplane, so that on landing the antenna hits the grass and bends 90 degrees back. This is not a very aerodynamic installation, but I am happy to report that this configuration results in drop-out free reception for at least a 200 yard radius, with only minor flickering in some orientations, which is somewhat annoying but not at all panicky. The only dropouts I have noticed occur straight overhead, but here it is relatively easy to locate your plane. I have been able to trust the system so far as to fly the road surrounding the park and watch the cars drive underneath at an altitude of about 35-40'. I'm also able to fly above an open field at about 10 feet altitude and look at all the animal tracks and holes. With this configuration, it is also easy to land on camera only. (Anyone who knows the flight characteristics of a properly balanced Wingo in No-Wind conditions will understand this better). Basically I'm having a lot of fun skimming the treetops at the local park on live video (Simulated piloting).

One trick I want to report, is with the foamy wingo, when it blows more than about 8 Mph, it gets tippy, and unstable. I am embedding a drinking straw into each wingtip at the CG line, and putting in fairly tiny fishing weights into the wingtips, more weights for more windy conditions. I will report flight characteristics in different wind conditions, when more data is gathered. Thanks all for now, happy Flying. -John

I am happy to report that this configuration results in drop-out free reception for at least a 200 yard radius, with only minor flickering in some orientations

Yikes :blink::blink:

Only 200 yards with 600mW??

Wow, I think there must be a way to enhance that... I'm using a 10mW TX on my everyday setup, and just set my new FPV horizontal distance record at 1.3km yesterday, also using a 8dBi patch B)

The previous ones were 1km and 750m, both limited because of empty plane battery <_<

Are you really flying all around you? Otherwise you should consider pointing the antenna to the direction you will most likely been flying, taking care that both antennas are aligned in terms of polarization (if your RX antenna is vertically polarized, put it vertically with your plane setup).

Otherwise as you seem to be flying low I wouldn't say the patch is the best solution. If you point it to the sky its gain pattern will be a cone that opens to the sky. If you fly low you're very likely to be outside of this one. When I fly short distances (<500m), low altitude or all around me I prefer using the stock whip...

Have you landed on FPV yet? Its fun!

What kind of Airplane, installation, and real time monitor setup are you using?

I have never tested the distance limits of reception beyong 200 yds, because I have never wanted the plane to get that far away, don't want to lose it. No matter how reliably everything is working, everyone in RC knows, that something could go wrong at any time. I'm just happy to get no drop-outs, so that I can rely on a video image at all times, because I (unfortunately) fly Simulated Piloting without a spotter. I like going high sometimes, but I think its more interesting to explore the near ground area (tree top area), from a birds eye perspective, in my opinion. (Like in Ocean Kayaking, you can go out to sea in it, but its much more interesting to explore the near shore, in my opinion.) Happy Flying, -John

Have you landed on FPV yet? Its fun!

Maybe 100 times this summer ;)

Actually I always fly FPV from takeoff to landing.

I'll post the details later in a new topic, I always said I would do it, but... :rolleyes:

BTW I also love flying low over trees, especially now with these colours :wub:

I did a few flights low over the houses in a little town a few days ago, was really cool too!

Edited by Kilrah