Sign in to follow this  
Mr.RC-Cam

New Spread Spectrum R/C System

Horizon Hobby just announced a 2.4Ghz Spread Spectrum system for model aircraft. It is designed for R/C parkflyers and micro heli's. It is NOT the same thing as their Spread Spectrum R/C car system that came out last year.

I think this one just might work for us Park Flyers. To get around the multipathing issues, there are two receivers in one case. So, there are two 4" antennas. That should offer effective spatial diversity operation if it is done right.

Only time will tell if this works out to be the holy grail for curing interference. I have my concerns about reliable range. But, since this is for short distance park flyer use, it has a fair chance of doing great. We'll see ...

More Info: http://www.spektrumrc.com

Hmm, what I would be cautious about is how it copes when a 2.4GHz video TX is transmitting a few cm away from the receiver... :unsure:

My experience shows relatively bad results with other 2.4GHz devices. For example my WLAN is set on the highest frequency channel so that I can do tests with my cams in the lower ones. BUT even using the lowest one my PC will get disconnected if I get too close, that is round 50cm. Might be an issue there.

The other one is that your video receiver on the ground will be close to your R/C TX which will send data on the whole spectrum, even more if you're flying FPV (unless you use a 10m video cable between the receiver and goggles ;) ).

Interference is very likely to happen here. It can be seen again with my WLAN, I will get white lines on the picture appearing randomly (proportional to network activity) in the whole flat, even using the most spaced channels.

All these are happening as well with my Aerocomm data transmission modules, which is a reason why I haven't done anything with them yet. They use channels, but it seems to me that they use frequencies that are spread along the whole spectrum with some spacing, and when changing the channel it adds a little offset to all these freqs. No confirmation though, I wanted to ask them about this but have never done it.

So I'm not that excited... unless it proves I'm wrong ;)

Hmm, what I would be cautious about is how it copes when a 2.4GHz video TX is transmitting a few cm away from the receiver...

I don't expect it to work well in those sort of installations either. The Rx will probably be swamped. But for the typical Park flyer pilot that does not use wireless video, this new system might work out just fine. I am cautious too, so I'll wait a few years before I convert over.

On the flip side, I can't do video A/P at one schoolyard field. A few months ago it was fine. Now I get a weird heartbeat interference on my video. I am nearly certain it is from wireless routers and/or cordless phones in the nearby homes. So, there is a chance that these new R/C systems (which use similar technology) will make it tougher on some of us 2.4Ghz video users. Time will tell.

True, these wireless networks are cool, but I've noticed that when using high-gain RX antennas you tend to be disturbed by things that can be located in houses several hundred meters in the background. I fortunately haven't experienced any problems on my fields (yet) though.