Hi All.

I am a long time fan of Mr RC-CAM and his projects.

I was browsing the site a few days ago, looking at the RC-CAM's when I recalled that a friend of my brother purchased a X10 system several years ago, but could never get it to work well. I asked the friend if I could have it, and he agreed (for a small cost... TBA). Today he brought it around for me to have a look at. I have got it working perfectly, and am very impressed! (It even has the sound enabled RX).

When he bought it, he also chose to get the battery adapter for the TX and camera. This runs on 4 alkaline batteries. Upon further inspection, it contains a relatively small DC-DC circuit raising the voltage to 12-13v. The battery adapter is usually included free, and could prove a good solution for those wishing to power the system off a RX battery, yet wanting to keep it cheap, and reduce soldering.

I am hoping to replace the camera with something like the Panasonic KX-121 or a camera from one of the dome CCTV setups off Ebay. However I would like to try the normal camera first to get a feeling for it all.

Now I just need to find out how much he wants for the X10, buy some coax and a video capture card (I don’t have a video camera, and plan on using my laptop).

I will keep you all informed of my progress, and take pictures along the way.

Josh Levine

The X10 XCam is fun to hack and provided valuable wireless video experience back before the low cost sardine can imports were common place. I truly learned a lot from the low cost X10 system.

I think that you will find that the Panasonic color CCD camera really makes a difference in video quality. If you need more range, the Linx 50mW RF amp module really supercharges the X-10 Tx. Info on the Linx amp hack is in the old MSN forum's photo album and discussion threads.

Thank you Mr RC-CAM.

I really look forward to trying this on one of my planes (If I power it off the main battery (using a 5v regulator) I should be able to get it light enough to put in the GWS Slowstick/Beaver).

Do you know what kind of power output the X10 gives? I would just like to see how it compares to some of the sardine can types.

Thanks

Josh Levine

Not to preempt Mr. RC-CAM's response, but here is what I've learned/read.

In stock form, the xcam units put out around 1mw of power. By replacing the transmitter antenna with the groundplane design, the power output jumps up to around 4mw to 5mw. The theory behind this jump in power is that the x10 folks intentionally used a substandard antenna design on the transmitter to keep the power down to fcc part 15 levels. By putting a better antenna on the unit we are allowing more of the power to be radiated into the air.

The sardine cans range in power from 10mw for the units that are smaller than your thumbnail, up to 500-600mw for units about half the size of a deck of cards. When you get into power levels above this, the sardine cans will be attached to a fairly bulky heatsink.

If your weight budget can handle one of the full size 'original' xcam units, then you can easily consider a sardine can unit that will output more than 40 times the power.

Oh, and keep in mind that even a lightly hacked xcam unit will loose it's part 15 license and require a ham license to operate legally.

Regards,

Bill

Edited by yb2normal

Thanks Bill.

I didnt think that it would be that low !.

He has said that he wants £50 for it (more then I expected) (around $82.50).

I am now contemplating getting one of the BlackWidow systems.

Josh

That sounds a bit pricey to me, especially if you go look at the current prices for this equipment. If he is willing to let it go for $40USD then you'd be getting a good deal, but otherwise, shop elsewhere!

Cheers,

Bill

Heck, I would have thought $25 USD would have been a fair price. At $82, I agree, get the BlackWidow system (or one of the 50-100mW 900MHz or 2.4GHz eBay systems).