Sign in to follow this  
gareth

Hong Kong cam setup

Hi, im trying to set up a wireless cam system for my slow stick, as im new to the wireless world, I was wondering if you can look over the equipment im using to see if im doing things properly.

The wireless 1.2 GHz system was bought from ebay; it uses a CMOS camera and a separate 800mW transmitter (supposedly). The first thing I did was chop off any unnecessary plugs and wires to shrink the system down. After reading other people’s threads I am running the camera and transmitter on an 8 cell 900 MAH AAA size NMH battery pack. The camera being a CMOS I have put a small piece of tape across the inside of the lens to reduce the sun glare. The receiver is a KTK type modified with the tuning knob moved from the antenna side to the other side so a patch antenna can be screwed straight on.

The antenna is a GP patch scaled up from the 1.13ghz its transmitting, I made the antenna from 1mm brass sheet and used Tufnell stand off blocks, initial tests on the ground haven’t been that good, it seems to work better with the standard wip, I think I may need to remake the antenna with thinner sheet. I’ve just bought some Olympus eye-trek viewing glasses from ebay which should do the trick. On the aircraft side will a standard slow stick 300C be ok with an 8 cell 2500mah NMH AA size pack running the motor and rc, the camera, transmitter and cam battery will weight 6 oz.

From the setup I have described does it look like im going down the right route or am I missing something.

Thanks for your time

Gareth

Gareth,

When you cut the connector off the camera, did you preserve the little voltage regulator that was inside the connector housing? The camera runs off 5-volts and the transmitter runs from 8-volts (nominal). (However, yours could be slightly different from the version I have).

Rick

Edited by kermitdafrog

Hi, i spliced open the plastic potted joint where all wires met and could not see anything, but i did not check inside the red power connector plugs, the camera seems to be working as normal at the minute. Are all CMOS cameras 5v?

Gareth

post-2-1130830288_thumb.jpg

I can't answer that from experience since the one I have is my first, but my guess would be yes. Yours may have a regulator on the camera board itself which is a little more convenient.

I just noticed last night that Super Circuits has a color CCD camera for $39 in their latest catalog, which from what I've seen is a pretty reasonable price for a CCD.

Rick

Hi, i think im gonna give my current setup a go and see how it performs in the air, my next project will probably use an airwave 612 transmitter and receiver, they are low cost and other people seem to be getting good results.

http://www.active-robots.com/products/radi...v-modules.shtml

A ccd camera is also going to have to be a must, but not sure what to go for, i was thinking of some thing with 420 tv lines for a good quality video.

Gareth

I agree on the airwave modules. They are really reasonably priced and I sent them an email last week and asked if the channels were compatible among the different part numbers and they said yes. Their response to my question was also prompt (less than a day), so that's a good sign.

Rick