Sign in to follow this  
zeldorf

UK suppliers question

Hi all,

I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to post this. I've been lurking for a while and thought that someone here might be able to help me.

I'm interested in getting some small video cameras and txs airborne, and have found quite a few interesting websites on the subject (this being one of them!) but they seem to mostly be US based and I'm in the UK.

Does anyone know of any stores in the UK that stock this kit, or am I going to have to order from abroad?

Cheers all!

:)

I'm interested in getting a video camera onboard a plane, and also telemetry but not necesarily as the same project.

Cameras dont seem to be the problem now (thanks for the links!) but finding transmitters over 10mW is, apart from one 70mW at SpyStoreUk. The range on the specs for them says 100m, but I've never seen anything wireless live up to its range specs! As I would imagine most of the flight time is spent outside that range, is this going to be at all usefull? I'm not looking to control the thing by watching the video feed, but I'm not interested in having a signal thats going to be useless unless im practically on top of myself.

As I don't have any real experience with wireless, can anyone tell what sort of practical range I can expect from this sort of power output. I know that ariels and receivers also have a large impact on this, but as receivers don't seem to have much usefull info about them at all, I'm slightly at a loss. I'd probably go for a patch on the receiving end, but what works well for transmitters?

Is 70mW really the max available in the UK without a licence, should I just abandon all hope now?

If you look at http://www.delemarre.ciscon.nl you will find a example to make these modules work. Remember that you do need an radio amateur license to operate these modules of more than 10 mW.

Delcam, the Netherlands

Edited by Delcam

10mW is used by me for most flights up to 1/4 mile and sometimes much further. It is true that you will need a good receiving aerial though.

Most modelers dont fly further that 1/4 mile, unless they are flying sailplanes.

Did you miss the 1.1W transmitter on the spy store site ?

There are lots more sites if you google for them.

Terry

Gareth, fantastic! I've ordered myself a couple of those to play with.

Delcam, thats a brilliant website with loads of usefull information! I was wondering about the connection to the radio modules, but your photos removed any doubt. Better than the datasheet!

Terry, thats good to hear as I was concerned about the range. I'm not sure where I was looking on the spy store site but I managed to miss all of the more powerfull transmitters! :unsure:

Thanks for all the help guys!

:D

I've gone for the 610 transmitter with the 608 receiver. I wanted to get the smaller 5V 620 receiver, but they're out of stock and didn't know when they would get some more in. With any luck they should be waiting for me when I get home today! :D

I've not got a camera yet, I'm looking for a 5V one, but have only found 12V cams so far. As I've gone for a 5V tx I don't really want to have to have 12V as well.

YB2Normal has info on the Panasonic CX-161 on his web page, but from what I can see it was discontinued a couple of years ago. Also the only two UK websites that I can find selling them are both beyond awfull!

Any recomendations?

Already tried this one. It works well, but I had better range and link reliability with my 10mW system.

So I've changed, the power consumption being quite lower with the 10mW. It was getting an issue for my tiny system that wouldn't run for more than 1hr out of the 250mA battery with the 50mW. The voltage reg does thank me as well ;)

It looks like you have had some fantastic results with your system, im having problems with my 1.2 ghz setup, it has a manual tune on the reciever and it seems like im having to fine tune all the time, im gonna order those airwave modules soon and move on to 2.4ghz pll.

Gareth

Oh, this is ****. I've had one at the beginning, tried using it for 10 mins on the ground and threw it away. I couldn't get a picture for more than 10 seconds without having to spend 1 minute again tuning it.

I have taken my 1.2 GHz system out for another try last weekend and it worked perfectly, I taped the camera outboard on the wing of my cap 232 with the battery inside over the CG, I didn’t fly FPV but got a friend to fly around the local common at about 700 meters away and the views are fantastic, I didn’t even have to retune the receiver and I had no drop outs at all, I think what has made a huge difference is clipping my transmitter aerial down to 62mm to match my transmitting frequency.

My system consists of:

-Hong Kong 1.2 GHz manual tune, modified with the tuning knob moved to the other side so a patch antenna can be screwed straight on and a power switch.

-the Hong Kong transmitter is supposed to be 800mW but I don’t think it is, probably more like 200mW. Aerial cut down to 62 mm

- I am still using the crappy CMOS camera with a piece of tape over the inside of the lens to reduce light sensitivity.

- The camera and transmitter is powered by a 900 mah 9.6v nmh pack.

- My patch antenna is GP Patch scaled up for 1.2 GHz made from brass.

- Im viewing the picture through my Olympus eye-treks from ebay (£73)

All in all a good first proper test, and shall be moving on to 2.4 GHz system pll, with a CCD camera run from lipo's.

Gaz

post-5-1132661218_thumb.jpg