Sign in to follow this  
Terry

18dBi panel

I just picked up an 18dBi panel type aerial in the hope that it would be easier to handle than my dish but better gain than my quad patch aerial. But its not performing at all well, it is only as good as my 14dBi quad patch but 10 times heavier. It has 16 elements inside so I was expecting good performance :(

The elements are small rectangles arranged as dipoles and are only 50mm tall in total. I have checked the reflected power and it shows it to be a good match over a wide band but oddly best at 2313Mhz.

Has anyone got experience with these ?

Terry

Many of the commercial high gain 2.4Ghz antennas that I have seen are equipped with several feet of feedline coax. If yours is like this then you can earn a couple dB's of signal strength if you eliminate it. At least 3dB for every ten feet of coax.

I did some more testing and things are a little better, I still dont think there is a 3dB+ gain over my 14dBi panel but it is showing a small advantage. I think I was picking up extra signal from a row of houses to my left when I was testing the 14dBi panel that the 18dBi panel with its narrow beam missed. I did the test again away from the houses and it looks a bit more as expected now, I will have to wait until spring to test in the air.

Oh, no co-ax on this panel :D

Terry