tkilloren

Underwater signal propogation

I am building an underwater camera inspection system for use aboard my boat.

I am using the Blackwidow 200 mW Tx/Rx combo. I can hard wire the Tx to the Rx, but I am wondering if I can go wireless, as that would eliminate the need to punch a hole in my watertight camera enclosure (polycarbonate). The Tx would be mounted inside the enclosure, using the short whip antenna that comes with the system, also inside the case. The signal would need to propogate through 6 to 10 feet of water.

Anyone have any guesses as to whether I will receive a useable signal at the Rx?

Thanks!

Tom Killoren

KB1MKC

It's not expected to work well since water is a serious RF attenuator. Especially since H2O resonates at 2.4Ghz. However, it would be interesting to see what the range will be. So, if you try it please report back.

Tom.

There is no need to to punch a hole in your watertight camera enclosure.

Simply build a patch antenna and glue it to the inside of the box then on the out side of the box make an identical patch antenna solder the coax cable to the 2nd antenna and encase it in epoxy or some other resin making sure you have a water tight seal around the coax.

Glue this external antenna to the outside of the box matching the position of the inside antenna, conect the other end of the coax to your 2.4 viceo receiver.

Use a good 50 ohm coax, I have done this using low cost RG6 coax and sent 2.4GHz about 100 ft with out any problems even with 75 ohm RG6 coax.

Use a strain relief and a don't stress the coax.

Good luck and let us know how it works.

Dave Jones