Sign in to follow this  
Terry

Patch Questions

Hi all, I have another nutty idea going round in my head and I need some help from you.

I have noticed that a lot of you are using patch aerials (myself included) but have any of you used a dipole with a flat plate reflector ?

How do they compare ?

Terry

UK

The most common configuration would be the Corner Reflector. Depending on the required beamwidth, very good gains can be obtained. I have not tried one though.

Thanks for your response but I want to try and find out the gain using just a flat reflector and any other good or bad points. I know the patch makes for a much neater solution but are there any advantages in using the dipole and reflector ? what are the beamwidths of the two types of aerial ?

This info is needed to help evaluate a bigger project...Thanks

Terry

UK

I do not have any info on the flat reflector implementation -- just corner reflectors of various shapes. My gut says that a single dipole mounted above a reflector will have minimal improvents in gain.

There are some nifty array antennas that use several dipoles above a flat reflector. Gain is a product of the dipole count. But they are very difficult to build correctly (perfect signal phase matching is required).

Hopefully someone chimes in with some good data to share that answers your question.

Well. here's some antidotal info. While testing the sorry little black patch I had bought from polaris, I made a discovery. At one point I had left the patch mounted to the top of the receiver (but disconnected), while trying the dipole again. The patch was about 3 inches directly behind the dipole and was acting as a reflector. The singal from the transmitter that was across a field, went from snowy to crystal clear. The combo was much better than the diploe alone, and many times better than that piece of crud patch that I eneded up throwing into the trash bin. Anyway, thats my little tid bit about reflectors!

Thanks for that. I have tried a reflector behind a dipole and at about 30mm it makes a big improvment but I have not done any serious testing. I was hoping that somebody had !

It looks like I need to add it to my things to do list.

Terry

UK