Sign in to follow this  
kd7ost

PIC chip to drive shutter servo

This is directed for Mr RC-cam but anyone else please feel free to ring in.

Some digital cameras do not lend themselves to being hacked easily for electronic shutter releases. I use a servo in my applications. To keep the camera from shutting down I use a Basic Stamp. It monitors my shutter pulse and as long as it is low, the Stamp sends a signal once every 30 seconds to the camera servo shutter. The pulse is just long enough to drive the servo to detent the focus function and keep the camera awake. Once I operate the shutter from my transmitter the system allows my full pulse to operate the servo fully to take the picture.

What would it take to employ a similar function in a single PIC chip and would you be willing to write the code for such a unit?

Thanks in advance

Dan

You probably already know this, but I created a camera shutter device that I call ShutterBug. It supports shutter activation using a servo or direct wiring. It is not a DiY project though since I offer it assembled (the design is not public).

It is intended for professional AP camera use. It does many things, besides just keep the camera awake. If you are interested, you can get a copy of the instruction manual here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309395

I didn't see that before. Thank you.

In reading over the PDF file I'm missing something I think. Can I program it to work with a servo, have the keep awake function operate the servo to the focus point yet when I activate the shutter, have it go straight to full push without the 1.5 second delay?

I run my camera in manual mode so don't even employ the auto focus. I only push the button half way because it keeps the camera awake. But, when I'm flying and framed up, I need the picture to snap pretty much on my command.

Thanks again

Dan

It will work as you describe except that the 1.5 second focus period will be involved. So, it is close, but not exactly per your requirements.

You can set it up so that the Stage-1 focus step is disabled, but then the "Keep Awake" function will need to snap a photo. Shutterbug will only use the Keep Awake dummy snapshot if the camera remains idle. For example, if your camera has a three minute timeout, and ShutterBug is setup to wait that long, then any snapshot in the three minute time frame will cause it to skip the wake up event (the timer starts anew).