Sign in to follow this  
Alloy

New user

Hi,

I just bought a PIC12F629 and wired up the basic circuit with a 0.1uF capacitor. I used a Futaba 9CHP transmitter with PCM dual convention receiver. It's not working, the servo only one shack when powered on the receiver and nothing happened after. The ciucuit was so simple and couldn't find anything wrong. Please advice, thank you!

Regards

alloy

What circuit did you build? What software file are you using? What did you use to program the PIC?

Ok, so you are building the popular Landtastic project. I edited your thread title to make it more meaningful.

(1) Place the black lead of your DVM on U1 pin-8 and the Red lead on U1 pin-1. What is the voltage that you read, including the observed polarity? It should be +4.75VDC to +5.25VDC. What do you measure?

(2) Assuming the voltage is correct, I would suggest you install the tail strobe LED components so that you can perform the Basic operation test procedure outlined in the project page. Then report what you find at steps 2 and 3.

I just use the transmitter to progran the PIC by following the instruction at the same site.

Well, there may be a problem here. The PIC needs to be programmed with the software file. How did you do this? What programming system did you use? Are you sure your programmer works and that the PIC is correctly "burned" (programmed)?

The voltage is alright. I'll do the tail strobe LED and see what happens.

I actually not doing any programming. I just put the jumper on leg 7 & 8 and use the transmitter to setup the time. But nothing happened except one shake at the servo when the power is connected.

Thank you!

PICs are generally able to supply only about 20 mA of current; it's too weak for most of stepper motors, especially on start. Try rewiring it via FETs.

I think the PIC just changes and controls the servo signal but not drivig the servo, is that right?

The software that you must program (burn/flash) into the PIC12F629 IC is designed to provide the PWM servo signal that controls the position of the servo. It does not drive the servo's motor directly -- that is the job of the electronics inside all common R/C servos.

A PIC chip is like a tiny computer with no user interface. It works with machines. But when you buy it there is no program inside. It is empty. You have to program it to make it work with other devices. It is very versatile so can do many different things. Mr RC-cam is an expert at this.

Dan

Edited by kd7ost

Can you tell me how to program it?

Have you read the FAQ? http://www.rc-cam.com/faq.htm#pic_chip

The Sparkfun.com site has tutorials on how to use the PIC chip programming systems that they sell. I have no experience with their stuff, but I would expect that the tutorials would tell you all that you need to get going.

If I need to buy some devices like a programmer to program the PIC, it'll be too expensive for me to go ahead for these small preject.

I understand this is an old post but I am considering building the the LANDTASTIC project using the PIC12F629.

I have visited the microchip.com site and found this particualr chip to be obsolete.

Does anyone have a suitable current chip number that can be substituted, or know where I may purchase an original PIC12F629.

"New member to the forum today."

Thanks in advance,

Dave

The PIC1F629 is not obsolete. It is still in production and is sold by all the major distributors. Digikey has 10,000 pcs in stock at the moment. Mouser and Jameco have them too.

I have visited the microchip.com site and found this particualr chip to be obsolete.

Does anyone have a suitable current chip number that can be substituted, or know where I may purchase an original PIC12F629.

"New member to the forum today."

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I dont know if the 12F629 is going obsolete or not but Farnell here in the UK say they will have no more when current stock is gone , but the 12F675 is still carrying on so you can use that

Don

If I need to buy some devices like a programmer to program the PIC, it'll be too expensive for me to go ahead for these small preject.

I'm in the same situation as this guy. Is there anyone who could programme the PIC if I send it to you return post?

Bill!