dalbert02

DIY +12dBi, increase range of 2.4Ghz rubber ducky

This is so cool that I cut out a version of the antenna immediately after I saw it.

I used muffler tape instead of tinfoil for the backing.

I'll do an antenna shootout on my diversity receiver to see if it actually offers an improvement.

Great find!

Bill

The diagram shows 50 degrees down to 9dbi... not too bad, and certainly acceptable for the receiver side.

One advantage of this antenna, besides the modest gain, is that it helps eliminate 'backside' interference... for those of us operating in dense urban environments.

Bill

Good point Bill, I will be interested to see your results. Do you think it will be better than just adding a reflector 1/4 wave behind the aerial ? Maybe you could test that too ?

Terry

It looks like it may be a bit directional.

Terry

I may be wrong, but I believe gain and directivity are directly related.

ex., high gain=narrower beam path; omnidirectional path = low gain

However, when used as an rx on the ground who cares if it will only receive signals above the antenna? The 50 degree pattern is better then many flat panel type antennas.

If it is any help, I built it for my Linksys WRT54G in my upstairs office. In my downstairs kitchen, my laptop used to get 'low' signal quality and now I get 'good' signal quality. Very scientific measurement indeed! ;)

Good point Bill, I will be interested to see your results. Do you think it will be better than just adding a reflector 1/4 wave behind the aerial ? Maybe you could test that too ?

Terry

That would be a good test too. A flat plate probably only offers modest gain, but if it manages to help reject backside signals then it could be a good idea.